Fedele to help local group pack items for troops
Dec 4, 2009
With Christmas fast approaching, several statewide leaders including Lieutenant Governor Michael Fedele (R) will be assisting SolderSocks.com on Saturday, December 5 to pack up items such as baby wipes and socks to send to troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. Students from Fairfield University will also be on hand to help pack the items.
The packing event will be held at the Stamford home of SoldierStrong founder Chris Meek; 20 Middle Ridge Road; Stamford from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Earlier this year, Meek launched SoldierStrong.com, a 501(c)(3) organization, to help troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq have access to basic hygienic items.
Since SoldierStrong’ inception, the group has shipped over a ton of baby wipes and tube socks to soldiers, greatly increasing the number of units that receive similar contributions. Additionally, SoldierStrong has teamed up with three community businesses – Stamford’s Hope Street Pharmacy, Athlete’s Foot also in Stamford, and the UPS store in Norwalk. The Stamford Fire Department has donated to SoldierStrong and will be placing bins in locations where they accept donations for their annual Toys for Tots drive during the holiday season.
“The men and women put their lives on the lines for their fellow Americans yet they need basic necessities such as baby wipes to clean themselves, and tube socks because of the rough and difficult terrain and weather they are exposed to,” said Meek. “Giving to Soldiersocks.com in any denomination is a simple thing to do and the help it delivers to our soldiers is priceless. Through this organization, each and every one of us can make a real difference to the life of a soldier.”
SoldierStrong.com has garnered tremendous attention and support from several elected officials throughout Fairfield County.
“SoldierStrong.com is our community at its best. Our great men and women who wear the military uniform are working with unparalleled professionalism, patriotism, and selfless sacrifice for our nation,” said State Representative Gerald Fox (D-146). “Anything that can be done to improve the quality of life for our brave soldiers is truly a noble endeavor. I wish SoldierStrong.com continued growth and success.”
“I believe that the SoldierStrong.com program is a great way to support our troops over in Iraq and Afghanistan. New socks are are a precious commodity in the battlefield. I urge others to participate in this worthwhile endeavor,” added State Representative Livvy Floren (R-149).
Meek has partnered with Marine Air Lift Unit 49 and Air National Guard unit out of Stewart Air Base in nearby Newburgh, NY to arrange shipping the items at no cost which will mean even more baby wipes and socks headed to units.
In October, Stamford Elementary schools held drives while several Connecticut colleges and universities will conduct drives on campus in the future – Fairfield University; Yale University; University of Connecticut; Wesleyan College; Western Connecticut State University and Quinnipiac University.
For more information, log on onto: www.soldiersocks.com
Information as of December 2, 2009
* Are shipping to 8 Marine Units in Afghanistan
* Have distributed over 7,000 pounds of socks and wipes from donations
* Have held drives at every Stamford elementary school
* Z100 Nationally syndicated/NYC-based) has sponsored a drive for us since Veteran’s Day (on air December 3rd)
* Connecticut State University system will be holding drives for us in December
* Stamford Fire Department donated $500 worth of socks and wipes
* Stamford Police Department is holding a drive at all precincts now
* Long Ridge of Stamford (Nursing Home) is holding drive for month of November
* Peoples United Bank in Greenwich and Cos Cob have held drives
* Quinnipiac University, Yale University, University of Connecticut, Western Connecticut State University, Fairfield University and Sacred Heart University will be holding drives on campus in November or December
* The State Capitol Building in Hartford is holding a drive during the month of December as their main Holiday Drive
* Working with 26 Baptist Churches in South Carolina for their Youth Group drive
* Working with private high School in Miami for a drive
* Knights of Columbus incorporating into their national Veteran’s Memorial Dinner
* Every possible demographic is currently involved – pre-schools, churches, temples, community centers, civic groups, small business owners, NYSE-listed global corporations
© Copyright by NorwalkPlus.com
To download story please Click Here